Saturday, April 17, 2010

Let's reload and pull the trigger

I am fascinated as well as angered by the language and actions of those on the right. I can't get into their mindset, but they must be acting out of fear.

What am I talking about? the use of the "gun" metaphor in their remarks. Some examples:
1. Sarah Palin's statement that her backers need to "reload".
2. Senator McCain's statement that America has "pointed the gun, but not pulled the trigger" on Iran. (Just exactly what is he advocating?)

Given some events in my neighboring (and formerly home) state of Virginia, where guns are now allowed to be carried, we may be seeing the progression of an alarming trend. (I'll have more to say about the current administration in Virginia in a future post.)

What kind of country are we moving towards, and what can we do about this?
(See my earlier post on the Tea Party for some suggestions).

Thanks for reading.

Update 4/18 - It was reported that Secretary Gates was critical of the Obama administration on Iran policy, but he has since denied it. My comment about McCain stands - during the 2008 primary campaign I never heard him utter the word "diplomacy".

No comments: